Running on Empty? Look Up
Break the Ice
What’s an experience in your life that you were really excited for but didn’t live up to your expectations?
Key Passage: Mark 16:1-4
“When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome brought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other, ‘Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?’ But when they looked UP, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.”
Have 2-3 members share takeaways from their GO last week.
- In your life, what does it mean to “look up” versus “look around you”?
- What do you tend to turn to when you need to be “filled up”?
- Is Jesus an optional feature or an essential component of your everyday life?
- When is a time in your life that you felt so low, the only place to look was UP to your Savior? How did God respond?
- How did that time period impact your relationship with God?
- It’s not possible to be committing to looking up to Jesus while also holding onto the things of this world. Is the thought of letting go of this world scary? Why or why not?
- Read Matthew 6:33. To you, what does it mean to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness”?
- Notice that the women in Mark 16 wondered how they were going to roll the stone away from the tomb so they could enter and anoint Jesus’ body, yet they didn’t turn around. What do you think kept them going in that moment?
- How do their actions encourage you? How can you apply this mindset to your life?
- What’s one thing you can do this week to ensure that you keep your gaze up and fixed on Jesus?
- How can you encourage other members in your group to continue looking up this week?
Close in Prayer