The Daniel Dilemma
Break the Ice
What is your favorite way to relax and unwind? What downtime activity fulfills you most?
Key Passage: Luke 10:38-42
“As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparation that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, ‘Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’ ‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘You are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’”
- At what point in Jesus’ ministry does this passage occur?
- What is the setting of this passage?
- How does this passage fit into the bigger picture of Luke’s gospel?
- Why is this passage important for us today?
Have 2-3 members share takeaways from their GO last week.
- In the story above, do you identify more with Mary or Martha?
- Martha was being productive and accomplishing necessary tasks. Why do you think Jesus corrected her?
- What are some things in your life that, like Martha’s preparations, distract you from time with God?
- Why does taking time to intentionally rest and relax feel counterintuitive in our culture?
- As Chris notes in the video, the only details the Bible gives us about Jesus’ time between being a youth and His ministry are found in Luke 2:52. How do you envision Jesus spending His time during that period? How did He grow in wisdom and in favor with God and man?
- How are you making time in your life for personal growth?
- Why are life-giving relationships essential to our faith journeys?
- What are some life-giving relationships in your life?
- When Chris talks about cultivating the presence of God, what does that phrase mean to you? What are you doing to cultivate God’s presence in your life?
- What can you do this week to intentionally take a “Mary” approach? Determine a specific time to set aside and be with God.
- Who can you approach and initiate a life-giving relationship with?
- How will you go about setting aside a day for personal Sabbath and replenishing?
Close in Prayer