The Daniel Dilemma
Break the Ice
If you could insert yourself and live in the world of any TV show, which would you choose? Why?
Key Passage: Mark 8:34-37
“Then He called the crowd to Him along with His disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?”
- What is the context in which Jesus makes these statements? At what point is He at in His ministry?
- What happens directly before this passage?
- What would this message have meant to the people Jesus was speaking to at the time?
- Why is this passage important for you now?
Have 2-3 members share takeaways from their GO last week.
- How would you define the word “pride”? Is it possible to have good pride?
- Isaiah 66:2, God stresses the importance of humility. Why is humility critical to our relationship with God?
- Chris Hodges says, “God has so much for us, but He can’t do it when we’re in charge.” Why do you think God allows us the option of being “in charge”?
- Read Romans 12:1-2. What does Paul mean when he uses the term “living sacrifice”?
- Chris describes three stages of lordship in the video: “I want what I want,” “I want what God wants if…” and “I want what God wants, period.” Which describes how you currently relate to God?
- How has social media altered the way we think about who is in charge of our lives?
- In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus submitted to God, “Yet not as I will, but as you will.” In what area of your life do you need to adopt this attitude right now?
- Chris noted in the video that the Bible uses the word “savior” 37 times and the word “Lord” 6,671 times. What does that discrepancy signal to you?
- What areas of your life can you submit to God this week?
- Identify situations where pride is causing you problems and pray for humility.
- Read Mark 10:17-22. Spend time thinking about what your “great wealth” in this scenario?
Close in Prayer