21 Days of Prayer
Key Passage: 1 John 4:1-6
“Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh if from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world. You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.”
- What is John’s purpose in writing this letter?
- How do the verses proceeding and following this passage affect your understanding of it?
- How does this passage apply to our lives today
- Do you feel disconnected from God? What are some ways you can better get connected to Him and hear what He’s saying to you?
- In what ways are you too connected to the world? Are these habits inhibiting you from hearing God?
- An effective fast disconnects us from the world and helps us better hear God. Have you ever fasted before? If so, what was the result? If not, why not?
- Zach Zehnder said, “To hear God’s voice, we need to turn down the world’s volume.” What does that phrase mean to you?
- What’s something that fasting from might help bring you closer to God?
- Do you struggle with knowing whether or not you’re hearing God’s voice?
- What Godly counsel do you have that you can go to in times when you’re wondering whether or not you’re hearing from God?
- Recall a time when you made a big decision and felt peace. What was that feeling like? Can you describe it?
- How will you fast from something this week to intentionally spend time listening to God?
- What will you do this week to help develop relationships with Godly counsel?
Close in Prayer