Scripture to Read
What’s the most extravagant thing someone has done for you?
- Put yourselves in the shoes of the disciples in Matthew 26:8. What would your response have been to this woman’s gesture?
- Jesus cared deeply for the poor. In fact, shortly before this event, He said, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.” (Matthew 25:45) So why do you think He corrected the disciples who suggested the perfume should’ve been sold and the money given to the poor?
- In Matthew 26:11, Jesus said, “But you will not always have me.” Though His physical body wouldn’t remain forever, His Being and our access to Him do. So what do you think Jesus meant by this statement?
- In your life, what does it look like to live extravagantly for Jesus?
- What’s holding you back from this extravagant life?
- Just as the disciples rebuked the woman for “wasting” the expensive perfume, the world may well rebuke you for living for Jesus. What tactics can you use to stand strong in the face of their criticism?
- Why is it important to acknowledge that living extravagantly for God might not look the same for everyone? (Mark 12:41-44)
- How can you resist the temptation to compare what you’re contributing to the Kingdom to what others contribute?
Close in Prayer