Scripture to Read
What’s the greatest praise you ever received? What did you do to earn it, and how did it make you feel?
- Gates are stationary; they cannot move. So what do you think Jesus means in Matthew 16:18 when He says the gates of Hades will not overcome His church?
- Read 1 Peter 3:19. How does this verse relate to Matthew 16:18?
- In a matter of verses, Peter thrills Jesus with a response of faith and disappoints Him so much that Jesus calls him Satan. How can you relate in your life?
- When Jesus predicted His death in Matthew 16:21, Peter didn’t just correct Jesus; he “rebuked” Him. Why do you think Peter responded this way? And how did His action influence Jesus’ strong response?
- Jesus harshly reprimanded Peter for having in mind the concerns of humans, not God. What can you do to keep your eye on Heavenly concerns?
- What does it look like for you to “take up your cross” (Matthew 16:24) in your life?
- Twice in Matthew 16-17, Jesus instructs the disciples to stay quiet about something they’d seen or heard (16:20; 17:9). Why do you think He did this?
- Why do you think God felt the need to declare His love for Jesus during His baptism and the Transfiguration?
Close in Prayer