Scripture to Read
What’s a tradition you think is outdated or don’t understand? This could be any type of tradition: family, work-related, city-wide, national, etc.
- Matthew 15:2 isn’t the first time we see Jesus clash with the Pharisees over traditional laws (Matthew 12:1-13). Why do you think Jesus considered it so important to challenge them on these matters?
- Jesus often reserved His condemnation for those who made God into a legalistic tyrant. In what areas of your life do you prioritize laws over God’s loving nature?
- How have you honored Jesus with your lips while keeping your heart far from Him?
- When you read this passage, who do you most closely identify with: Jesus, the Pharisees, or the disciples? Why?
- Read Matthew 15:21-28. Upon first reading, what do you think was Matthew’s purpose in documenting this story?
- How do you identify with the Canaanite woman?
- Why do you think Jesus didn’t immediately answer the woman?
- How did Jesus respond to the woman’s persistence and worship? How does this apply to your life?
- How do you respond when Jesus tells you, “No”? Do your response need to be adjusted?
Close in Prayer