Scripture to Read
Recall a time when rules or laws held you back from experiencing something you were really looking forward to. How did it make you feel?
- Why do you think the Pharisees were so obsessed with laws?
- Twice in Matthew (9:13 and 12:7), Jesus referenced Hosea 6:6 – “For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgement of God rather than burnt offerings.” What do you think He was trying to tell the Pharisees with these references?
- In Matthew 22:37-40, Jesus said all the Law and the Prophets hang on the two commandments of loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself. What laws have you created for your life that run counter to this thinking?
- It’s easy to criticize the religious leaders for their jealousy of Jesus and construction of man-made laws. But when you examine your life, in what ways can you relate to the these people?
- Read John 11:45-53. Why do you think the Pharisees felt so threatened by Jesus?
- Read Romans 13:1-2. Jesus clearly had no problem calling out authorities who were teaching improper doctrine, yet this verse calls us to submit to governing authorities. How do we balance these two verses?
- As we see in Matthew 12:14, there may be consequences when we choose to follow Christ and act counter to modern culture. In what ways can you remind yourself in these moments that the long-term gain of your salvation is more important than human approval?
- What does it look like to honor the Sabbath today?
Close in Prayer