Scripture to Read
What’s something you had great expectations for (movie, concert, restaurant, sporting event, vacation destination, etc.) that played out differently than what you had in mind?
- John the Baptist highly anticipated the coming of the Messiah, yet he was skeptical of Jesus in Matthew 11. What do you think caused his doubt?
- Is there a difference between John the Baptist doubting Jesus’ divinity or just double-checking if He was the prophesied Savior? Why or why not?
- How do you relate to John the Baptist’s skepticism?
- Why is it dangerous to assign expectations on what we want God to be and what we want Him to do?
- In what ways have you assigned expectations to God that might not align with His plan for your life?
- Look closely at Matthew 11:18-19. What is Jesus saying to the crowd here?
- People rejected John the Baptist for being too harsh while ridiculing Jesus for being too liberal. They were unhappy with both options. How do you see this thinking exist in today’s world?
- Read Matthew 11:11. What does this verse say about the kingdom of Heaven?
- Is your love for Jesus contingent upon His performance in your life? If so, what can you do to shift your mindset to remember the best thing about the Kingdom is the King, not what the King can do for you?
Close in Prayer