Week 5: Gospel Freedom
- Can you recall a time when you were completely stuck? A time when you just were not able to break free from something? What were the circumstances?
- Conversely, can you recall a time when we were set free from something? A time that you would describe as a breakthrough moment. What were the circumstances?
Questions for Discussion:
Read Galatians 5:1-6
- What is your first reaction to reading Paul’s words in verse 1, “For freedom Christ has set us free?” What do you think Paul was trying to say?
- Verse 2 says “do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.” What do you suppose Paul is getting at? Can you think of someone you know that has done this? Or perhaps a time when you have been tempted to do this?
- In Pastor Mark’s message on Galatians 5, he spoke of how different the meanings are in the Greek and the English concerning the word hope. How would you describe the differences? What does it mean for you to have hope?
Read Galatians 5:13-15
- What does it mean when Paul says in verse 13, “do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh?”
- One of Paul’s “don’ts” of freedom is “don’t lose it.” In verse 13 Paul seems to be giving us a second don’t: “Don’t abuse it.” What does that mean practically?
- What does it mean to “bite and devour one another?” What was Paul talking about? What would he say to us about this in 2021?
Read Galatians 5:22-23
- In these verses, Paul gives us the fruit of the Spirit. When you go through the list, which of these do you find most evident in your life? Which one of these might you be lacking?
- Do you think Paul is saying that these fruit are available to all believers? How is it that you receive these fruit?
- How would you answer someone who asked you, “What is Gospel Freedom?”
- In Pastor Mark’s message, he used an illustration he learned from Tim Keller regarding the straightening out of a bent iron rod. In one case the rod is bent back by an exertion of force. In another case, it is straightened out by being put in the fire. Which is best? When have you experienced being put in the fire in your life and coming out stronger?