Week 4: Gospel Identity
- Can you recall a time when you were chosen or selected to a team, group, club, or organization? Who chose you? What were the circumstances? How did that make you feel?
- Conversely, have you ever felt left out, not included? Describe those circumstances with your group and what you did about it.
Questions for Discussion:
Read Galatians 3:26-29
- What is your first reaction to reading Paul’s words in verse 26: “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus?”
- What does it mean to you to be baptized into Christ? (See verse 27) What does it mean to you to hear “you have clothed yourself with Christ?” (Check out another one of Paul’s letters in Colossians 3:12-17)
- Paul writes in 3:28 that “there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus?” Where do you see this in evidence today? Where do you NOT see this?
Read Galatians 4:1-5
- Paul says in verse 1 that “as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave.” What do you think he means by that?
- Read verse 4. What does it mean that the “time had fully come?” Why do you think it was it important for Paul to include that Jesus was “born of a woman,” and “born under law?”
- Paul says in verse 5 that Jesus came “to redeem those under law.” What is your understanding of Jesus’ redeeming us?
- What does it mean for you to “receive the full rights as sons?” (verse 5)
Read Galatians 4:6-7
- How does it make you feel that the Spirit in our hearts calls out, “Abba, Father?” How does this make you feel?
- Paul describes the one who is baptized into Christ as a son and an heir. Is one of those more meaningful to you? If so, which one? Why? How would you describe the inheritance you have?
- In Pastor Mark’s message he referred to how our “Gospel Identity means that we areIN! It means that we are INcluded, that we have an INheritance, and that the Holy Spirit INhabits us.” Which of these means the most to you? Which of these would you like to understand more?