Things Jesus Never Said – 3: For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.”
Theme: Forgive and Forget
How do you respond to what Pastor Greg stated: “We are not called to forget; we are simply called to forgive.” What is one thing that stood out to you from his sermon?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Forgiveness is Essential
Read John 3:14-17. The essential value of God’s Love for us.
- Why do you suppose Jesus uses the example of Moses (verses 14-15)?
- Who may have this eternal life that God offers (verse 16)?
- What is the basis for God’s actions in extending this offer (verse 17)?
- How could this truth help in extending forgiveness to someone you know?
Read Ephesians 4:30-32. The essential value for our love for our loved ones.
- Why is it so important that Paul includes the Holy Spirit (verse 30)?
- What surprises you in what Paul lists as conditions (verse 31)?
- How and why does Paul say we should handle our forgiveness (verse 32)?
- How will keeping this in mind help you interact with those for whom you care?
Read Ephesians 5.29-30. The essential value for our love for ourselves.
- What does Paul declare to be true about our love for ourselves (verse 29)?
- How does Paul’s use of the Church amplify this concept (verse 30)?
- Why would forgiveness be essential to my own sense of well-being?
- How might your choosing to forgive, serve to strengthen the Body of Christ?”
- How are you going to apply one of these three truths to your life this week?
- What can you do this week to let God’s word transform the way you do life?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, open our eyes to see that Your desire for us is that we would choose to reflect Your open heart of love in regards to how we handle forgiveness.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
Pastor Greg stated, “Forgiveness is a daily releasing of any hurt or anger; it is a prayer of blessing?” What do you think he meant by this?
The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
- Read Matthew 18:21 – The Basic Question
Why do you think Peter specifically asked this question of Jesus?
- Read Matthew 18:22 – Jesus’ Unexpected Answer
What do you think Jesus meant by His answer – is there a limit?’
- Read Matthew 18:23- 27– The Initial Scenario
How would you describe the servant’s predicament/release in today’s world?
- Read Matthew 18:28-30 – The Initial Response
What do you find significant in the actions of the servant toward his fellow servant?
- Read Matthew 18:31-33 – The Final Resolution
How does the master’s handling of the situation speak to your heart about forgiveness?
Share an incident from your own life where you chose to forgive someone who harmed you.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to choose to extend to others a small measure of the forgiveness that You chose to extend to us in Christ’s forgiving of our sins.