Things Jesus Never Said – 2: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
Theme: Judging Others
How do you respond to what Mike White stated: “Even the statement, “Don’t judge me,” is making a moral judgment of others!” What is one thing that stood out to you from his sermon?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Romans 3:21-23. All have sinned and fall short.
- What is it that Paul wants to make sure is understood (verses 21-22)?
- What is the basis for receiving God’s righteousness (verse 23)?
- How could this truth help you deal with someone you know?
Read Matthew 7:3-5. Not all judgment is the same.
- Why is it so significant that Jesus cautions us not to judge others (verse 3)?
- What does Jesus remind us that is true about our situation (verse 4)?
- Who does Jesus say we should attend to first in any situation (verse 5)?
- How will keeping this in mind help you as you interact with others?
Read Matthew 5:14-16. We point others to Jesus.
- What does Jesus declare you to be, and for what purpose (verse 14)?
- Why do you think He added this second example (verse 15)?
- What does Jesus say is the ultimate reason for our doing good deeds (verse 16)?
- How might your judging the behavior of someone limit your “shining?”
- How are you going to apply one of these three truths to your life this week?
- What can you do this week to let God’s word transform the way you do life?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, enable us all to remember these truths and not lose sight of Your intention that we shine as lights in the dark world so we might lead others to Jesus.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
Mike White stated, “What is your motivation behind your judgment; is it selfish motivation or Kingdom motivation?” What do you think he meant by this statement?
- Read 1 Corinthians 5: 9 – Avoid Unhealthy Associations
Why do you think Paul specifically warned against certain associations?
- Read 1 Corinthians 5: 10 – Worldly Exceptions
Why is it so important to make a distinction between those inside and outside the church?’
- Read 1 Corinthians 5: 11 – False Believers
Who is Paul identifying as those we should avoid, and how would we know unless we judge?
- Read 1 Corinthians 5: 12 – Outsider vs. Insiders
Why do you think that this kind of judgment is so important within the Body of Christ?
- Read 1 Corinthians 5: 13 – God’s Responsibility vs. Our Responsibility
How do you think you would go about accomplishing this?
Share how you might try to be more careful in applying these truths this week.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to acknowledge our sinfulness before You, especially as we deal with others in our lives whose behavior appears far from Your standard.