Beginnings – 5: “Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise, we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.””
Theme: God’s Design vs. Human Self-Satisfaction
- How do you respond to what Pastor Greg stated: “The temptation of success is the denial of our reliance?”
- Describe a time when you were on a team that accomplished something noteworthy.
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Genesis 9:1-3, 7 God’s Design
- What was it that God told Noah and his sons specifically to do (Genesis 9:1)?
- Why did God tell them about the other animals on the earth (Genesis 9:2-3)?
- Why do suppose God repeated what he commanded Noah and his sons? (Genesis 9:7)?
- What was one major takeaway from Pastor Greg’s sermon on God’s design for you?
Read Genesis 11:1-9 Mankind’s Counter Proposal
- What was true for the whole earth at this time in history (Genesis 11:1)?
- What did they decide to do once they realized their unity (Genesis 11:2-3)?
- Why do you suppose they chose to go directly against what God had said (Genesis 11:4)?
- What did God do in response to their willfulness and disobedience (Genesis 11:5-9)?
Read Leviticus 26:18-20 God’s Resolution
- What option did God give the people (and by extension, us) (Leviticus 26:18)?
- Why was it so important to include this statement about pride (Leviticus 26:19)?
- What did God declare would be true for all who chose not to trust Him (Leviticus 26:20)?
How might this principle apply to us who are no longer under the Law?
- How are you going to seek to honor God and His design in your life this week?
- What can you do to let these truths become a more significant part of your life this coming year?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, show us how we have misused Your good gifts of unity and community to advance our agendas and not Yours, and lead us in Your way everlasting.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
1 John 2:15 says, “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
How would you relate the story of the Tower of Babel to the teaching contained in this verse?
Pastor Greg stated: “God united the world at Pentecost, to ignite the world to an eternity of love.”
United in the purpose and will of God, the church will:
Read Acts 2:42-45 – Care for one another
What were four ways the early church showed care for one another after Pentecost?
Read Acts 2:42-45 – Pray for one another
How do you think prayer in the early church was so vital to its growth?
Read Acts 2:46 –Meet, Greet and Eat with one another
Why do you think God encouraged the new church to devote themselves to these activities?
Read Acts 2:47 –Heaven grows, as the Spirit flows!
What two things does Luke say were true for all those who believed and for the church?
Share a story about a significant church experience you have had.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us see by the actions and responses of the people in the crowd at Pentecost, how You intended for unity and community to work for our ultimate good.