Beginnings – 3: “Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve… But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” “For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.”
Theme: Genesis 4 – The Reality of Choice
How do you respond to what Pastor Greg stated: “God-centered people find peace and contentment in the pleasure of God.”
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read. 1 Samuel 15:22-23. Man-centered Rebellion
- What did Samuel remind King Saul when he chose to disobey God (verse 22)?
- Why do you think Samuel was so strong in his condemnation of what Saul had done (verse 23)?
- What is now true about you and me that makes rebellion such an insidious sin?
Read 2 Corinthians 10:3-5. Man-centered Arrogance
- What is true for you and me as when we forget to follow God’s ways (verse 3)?
- How would you define what a stronghold might be in your life (verse 4)?
- What does Paul identify as the solution to man-centered thinking (verse 5)?
Read Proverbs 3:5-6. G0d-focused trust
- What are you told regarding what you should do and not do (verse 5)?
- What are you promised that God will do for you in response (verse 6)?
Read Hebrews 12:1-3. God-dependent faith
- How does the cloud of witnesses tend to encourage you in your faith walk (verse 1)?
- Why is it essential that you understand that Jesus has gone before us (verses 2-3)?
- What are you going to do to be more aware of what Christ has already done for you?
- How can you share with one other person the powerful reality of God’s future redemption?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, teach us to acknowledge the futility of living by our own understanding and abilities; and help us put our trust and faith in Jesus at the center of our lives.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
How would you state what it means to you as you think about what Pastor Greg said,
“God-centered living leads us to put God at the center of our entire being …for redemption… for renewal…for reward!”
- Read 1 Peter 1:18-19. – For Redemption
Why is it essential that you know that you have been redeemed by Jesus’ blood?
- Read Romans 6:4: – For Rejuvenation
How has being buried with Christ through baptism enabled you to live a new life?
- Read Titus 3:5. – For Renewal
What has Jesus accomplished for you and me through baptism?
- Read Psalm 146:9 – For Relief
What does it mean to you that God relieves those without any visible means of support?
- Read Romans 6:5. – For Resurrection
How is the promise of resurrection from the dead a comfort to you?
- Read Colossians 3:23-24. – For Reward
What impresses you most about what God wants for you in how you live your life?
Share one thing you realize is different for you now as you attempt to live for Christ?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, show us again how much You love us and have done for us in Christ Jesus, so we can be encouraged to live a life centered in You.